Here’s what you need to know about nursing programs offered online
Being a nurse is known as one of the noblest professions in the world. They help make patient’s recovery easier and medical functions more efficient. This is why there is always a demand for nurses in hospitals and several healthcare centers. If you are planning to make a career in nursing, but are lacking good nursing schools in your state, then opt for online nursing programs.
Read further to gain more information about distance learning courses for nursing.
What are the benefits of pursuing nursing programs online?
- Flexibility – One of the prominent advantages of online nursing programs is flexibility in academic schedules. This is especially useful if you have additional responsibilities such as work, children, etc.
- Cost – As compared to conventional nursing degrees, online courses are cost-effective. So, if you are looking for an inexpensive option, try applying for nursing programs online.
- Reach – Not all states have universities that offer nursing programs. In such a situation, most aspirants only have two alternatives, i.e., to move or to drop their plan. But due to the advent of online nursing degrees, now one has the option to pursue it smoothly without any major hurdles.
- Comfort – You can manage your coursework in the comfort of your space. They might also allow you to complete the degree according to the time frames you prefer. For instance, if you are pursuing MSN (master of science in nursing), you can complete the program in one or two years.
- Independence – Being a part of a distance learning program for nursing doesn’t offer clinical preceptors, so this implies that the students have to find their clinical sites to master skills such as examination, application and work ethic. Gaining experience on your merit can reflect as an impressive achievement on your job portfolio.
Which are the available nursing programs online?
There are programs which range from the levels of basic to expert. Following are the nursing courses that you can opt for:
- LPN certificate program (licensed practical nurse)
- Bachelor of science in nursing (BSN)
- Associate degree
- Master of science in nursing (MSN)
- Doctorate programs in nursing (Ph.D. in Nursing)
You can get an option of specializing in various disciplines in masters and doctorate programs.
What is the eligibility criteria of online nursing programs?
Depending on the course level, you are choosing, the eligibility criteria for nursing differs.
- BSN – For a bachelor’s degree you will require a high school diploma with good grades subjects like biology, mathematics, etc. If you have opted for advanced courses in high school such as anatomy or physiology, it can strengthen your profile.
- Associate degrees – These are usually offered by community colleges who train the students for entry-level jobs in hospitals, senior homes, adult care, etc.
- MSN – On the other hand, for a master’s program, you will need a bachelor’s degree in nursing from a good school. Some schools might also require relevant work experience.
- Doctorate – For most Ph.D. degrees you will require a combination of prerequisites such as a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, and nursing experience.
What are the job prospects after completing a nursing program online?
Here are some of the popular job prospects you can take up after finishing an online nursing program.
- Children’s nurse
- Clinical nurse specialist
- Gerontological nurse (who deals with treating the senior patients)
- Counselor for patients
- Nurse anesthetist
- Psychiatric nurse
- Travel nurse
How much do online nursing programs cost?
The tuition for online nursing programs is usually calculated by the number of credits per semester. They can be anywhere from $50 to $300 for every credit. Other than that, you will have to incur miscellaneous fees, and charges for books. Since there is no standard fee structure, the total cost will vary according to the college, coursework, amenities and the type of online nursing degree.
How should I choose the best online nursing programs?
When you are shortlisting nursing programs online, ensure that you bear the following factors in mind –
- Course design and specialization alternatives
- Financial aid
- Support staff
Which are the best colleges offering online nursing programs?
The following are some of the popular online nursing programs –