All about electric wheelchairs
Wheelchairs have been part of civilization from as early as the 6th and 5th century BCE. The earliest inscription of a furniture with wheels was found in China. The Chinese used wheelbarrows to transport people as well as things. In 525 CE, they began to use wheelchairs to transport people and continued using them for transporting things as well. Over the years, the wheelchair has undergone multiple transformations to fit the needs of the people using it. In today’s world, the wheelchair has been able to give back freedom to the people who have lost function of their legs. Discussed below are a few important details on the best and most sought-after type of wheelchairs available in the market, the electric wheelchairs.
What are the operational options available in an electric wheelchair?
- Electric wheelchairs have a joystick that is mounted on the armrest, which the user can use to best control the motors.
- If the user is unable to handle the joystick, it can be replaced by head switches, sip and puff controllers, chin-operated joysticks or any other type of special controls.
What are the access capabilities present in electric wheelchairs?
- Indoor chair: This type of chair can be used only on flat surfaces. This electric wheelchair is best suited for users who want to get around the house and do not intend to use it outside on hard surfaces.
- Indoor-outdoor chair: This type of chair has a restricted range and may not be able to maneuver slopes or uneven surfaces. However, it can be used both inside and outside, on flat and hard surfaces.
- Outdoor chair: This type of chair can be used to get around outdoors. However, it may still be difficult to use it on tricky surfaces.
- Cross-country chair: This is a very rare and uncommon type of chair. It has the capability to go about on any kind of surface. However, there are not many options in this category.
How can you choose the best electric wheelchairs?
- A wheelchair must be safe and easy to handle by the user, without them having to depend on another individual.
- The chair must be efficient and versatile depending on the type of usage the user intends to put it through.
- It should weigh light enough so that it can be transported easily by the user.
- Electric wheelchairs with the best features must not burn a hole in the buyer’s pocket.
- It must be bought from a reliable and trustworthy company. The more number of users that are satisfied with a particular wheelchair, the better it is.
What are the different drive options available in wheelchairs?
- Wheelchairs can be customized to suit the needs of the user.
- Compact wheelchairs normally have 4 wheels and come with front and rear wheel drive.
- Large ones usually have 6 wheels. The front and rear wheels are small, while the center wheels are large and powered.
What are the best electric wheelchairs available in the market?
- Yoga: This is a stable and lightweight chair. It has twin front tires as well as a spring suspension. The steering can be adjusted to the user’s height and also the angle required by the user. It can support up to 250 lbs. of weight.
- WHILL Model A: This is a four-wheel drive and can be used around the house as well as outdoors. The chair can support up to 220 lbs. and gives its user complete freedom. The range of this chair is 12 miles. It has an anti-tip bar as well as a short wheelbase. The seat is electric and can slide forward and backward as per the user’s requirement. The chair has omni front wheels that can traverse through snow and clear obstacles of up to 3” height.
- Drive Phoenix HD 4: It can handle weight of up to 350 lbs. and can speed up to 4 miles per hour. It has a maximum range of 15 miles. This electric wheelchair has an “easy to pull” throttle, which is the best for users with limited finger dexterity. It is easy to assemble and dismantle, making it a good choice for people who travel by airplanes. The chair is very durable and powerful.
Where can you buy the best electric wheelchairs?
- You can check online and finalize a chair of your choice. Ensure that you prioritize safety and budget while making a decision.
- It is advisable to go to a dealer, try the models they have, and check which one suits your requirements.
- Read up about the different wheelchairs available in the market and reviews from the users of each of them.
- Ensure that the warranty on the product you buy will be honored by the stores in the future.
- To avoid handling and shipping worries, it would be a good bet to buy wheelchairs online. However, enough research and deliberation must be put in before finalizing the product.