A margarita is one of the easiest cocktails to make. There is not much you can do wrong, as the steps basically include mixing all the ingredients with ice in the shaker and then pouring it into the glass. The measurements of the ingredients and the garnish, however, will determine how the cocktail will taste. If you are trying to make margarita for the first time, then questions such as the following might surely come to your mind. These should give you an idea of how one can execute the best margarita recipes.
What are the ingredients required for a margarita recipe?
- Tequila: The main ingredient of a margarita, tequila makes up most of the share of the ingredients mixed for tequila. You will need around 60ml of tequila to make the perfect cocktail. Avion Silver is one of the most common tequilas used in margarita recipes.
- Orange liqueur: Tequila might be the most important ingredient, but a margarita is incomplete without orange liqueur. A single glass of margarita requires around 30ml of orange liqueur. Triple Sec is a brand of orange liqueur that is most commonly used for margaritas.
- Fresh lime juice: A cocktail requires something to tone down the large amounts of alcohol in it, and adding fresh lime juice will help accomplish that. Around 30ml of lime juice is ideal as per other ingredients.
- Crushed ice: A regular for most cocktails, crushed ice is one of the most common ingredients. There is no measure for crushed ice, you can add it as per the requirement of the drink.
- Garnish: A lime wedge or wheel and some kosher salt on the rim of the glass should work well as the garnish for a margarita.
Which glasses are ideal for a margarita cocktail?
- Welled margarita glass: This is the most common type of glass used for a margarita; it is not only a traditional or standard glass but is also functional. The wide rim is ideal as it allows for more garnish, increases the capacity of the glass, and makes it easy to hold.
- Saucer margarita glass: This type is also commonly used to serve margaritas. It has enough space to accommodate all garnishes as well as a large amount of the drink. However, it is not as comfortable as it does not have a hemisphere at the bottom.
- Martini glass: This glass is designed to serve martinis, but most people like to try exotic versions of margaritas in this glass. It has a lesser capacity than the other, more traditional margarita glasses, but it works good for an orange mango margarita.
Which are the different garnishes used in a margarita recipe?
- Lemon: The traditional garnish for a margarita recipe is a lemon slice or a lemon wedge. You can, however, play around with the garnishes if you try different types of margaritas. You can also add other ingredients to the lemon wedge and fix them on a toothpick.
- Orange: As one of the basic ingredients of a margarita recipe is orange liqueur, an orange works well as a garnish. An orange peel, few drops of orange extract, or an orange wedge, all can be used for garnishing.
- Salt rim: No matter if you garnish your cocktail with a lemon or an orange, a salt rim works with both. If you are feeling fancy, you can also use beer salt to complete your margarita recipe.
What are the things to consider when trying a margarita recipe?
- Keep it simple: The key to acing a best margarita recipe is keeping it simple. The more you try to experiment with your drink, the higher are the chances of something going wrong. All you need to do is add the ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Use the right glass: Using the right glass for a margarita is as important as mixing the correct levels of tequila and orange liqueur. If you change the glass, it can change how the cocktail tastes due to the amount of garnish in it.